Best Consideration Date: 05/20/2022
The IT Programmer Analyst utilizes advanced knowledge and skills in business analysis, programming, and database design to develop and maintain departmental web-based applications and a shared data repository to optimize workflow and improve efficiencies of the academic, research and administrative operations in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Maryland. This individual interacts with faculty and staff of the department throughout the development process as the individual collects business requirements, designs and produces prototypes of user-friendly interfaces, and oversees acceptance testing of web applications. While developing new software and maintaining legacy systems, the IT Programmer Analyst works independently to write, deploy, and maintain code using version control software and modern design patterns in multiple programming languages (for browser, server, and database). The programmer analyst will integrate departmental systems with campus and partner systems that provide authentication and source data.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Minimum 3 years programming experience and a firm understanding of web frameworks, APIs, databases, and multiple back end languages.
- Programming Experience in Python, PHP, or Ruby
- Competency in building web-based software: conducting complex analysis, designing user interfaces, performing software development, testing, and implementation
- Proficient use of SQL and experience with relational database design
- Proficient using version control software, preferably Git
- Demonstrates good programming habits, e.g. writes in-code documentation.
- Experience with Perl or Java
- Use of a web framework, e.g. Django, Laravel
- Comfortable working in a Linux environment (LAMP)
- Administration of MySQL/MariaDB
- Experience with a configuration management tool, e.g. Puppet
- Experience designing disability-accessible and mobile-friendly interfaces
- Experience with integration tools and familiarity with APIs for applications such as Workday or Salesforce
- Quickly learns and adapts to new technologies, tools and software.
- Demonstrates a high degree of self-motivation
- Attention to detail